This is an easterly view of Monroe Street (now Monroe Center) from Campau Square. Street cars and horse-drawn vehicles are seen with buildings and people. This was originally used in an 1890's City of Grand Rapids Annual Report.
This photograph shows Monroe Center Ave NW just prior to construction of the pedestrian mall. The Peoples Building, occupied by Old Kent Bank, can be seen on the left while the shops can be seen along the street.